Sunday 25 January 2015

Peanut butter brownies





I don’t make a lot of brownies (last brownies made: November 2013, a shocking statistic), mostly because Mr CC claims not to like them.  Note the use of the word ‘claims’.  The pattern is as follows:
Me – I’m making brownies this week.
Mr CC – I don’t like brownies.
A day or so later….
Mr CC – I took the brownies in to work and had one.  It was actually pretty nice.
Repeat cycle every time I say I will make brownies.





Chocolate and peanut butter is such a satisfying flavour combination.  I love the sweet saltiness that peanut butter adds to baking and, teamed with good dark chocolate, the flavour is rich and mouth-watering.  Often when a recipe calls for dark chocolate I substitute it for half milk, half dark; I didn’t do that here as you need the dark flavour to balance the sweetness.  If you used milk chocolate I think it could be a sugar overkill and end up a little cloying.





These brownies have that squidgy, dense texture that good brownies should have and are divine served warm with ice cream for dessert, or at room temperature with a cup of tea.  They keep well too, although believe me when I say that really won’t be an issue!  The following photo is all a latecomer should ever see of a good brownie:




Ingredients

For the brownies:
225g smooth peanut butter
150g dark chocolate, broken into squares
200g light brown soft sugar
3 eggs
100g self raising flour

For decoration:
50g dark chocolate, melted


Method

Preheat the oven to 180C/ fan oven 160C/ 350F/ gas mark 4.

Line a 20cm square cake in with baking paper or non stick foil.

Put 50g of peanut butter to one side.

Place the remaining 175g of peanut butter in a bowl with the chocolate and sugar and melt together in a saucepan over a gentle heat.  Stir occasionally. 

Leave to cool for about ten minutes.

Beat the eggs, one at a time, into the chocolate mix.

Fold in the flour.

Pour into the prepared tin and put to one side.

Melt the 50g of peanut butter you put to one side at the start.  You can do this in brief bursts in the microwave or on the hob.  Only heat it until it is thin enough to drizzle.

Drizzle the melted peanut butter over the unbaked brownie.

Bake for approximately 25 minutes, but it’s best to check after 20 minutes as ovens vary widely – you’re aiming for a squidgy middle but with a crust.  It will carry on baking/firming up as it cools.

Melt the remaining chocolate and drizzle over the top of the baked brownie.

Leave to cool completely in the tin, on a wire rack, before de-tinning and cutting into squares.

Bask in the glory of the wonderful thing you have created.


Eat.

14 comments:

Doris said...

These sound amazing, definitely on my "to bake" list.

Cakelaw said...

Squidgy dense brownies - I am there.

Gloria Baker said...

Aww CC the hubbies!!
These brownies look amazing!
I save this recipe!

Snowy said...

Chocolate and peanut butter - what's not to like! They look great.

Katie said...

They look amazing! Love how much peanut butter goes into them. They look deliciously fudgy and truffle-like.

Maggie said...

I'm still a brownie novice - unfortunately, my hubby doesn't like them:( Maybe, yours would win him over!

Choclette said...

Oh yes, peanut butter and chocolate is such a good combination and these look scrumptious. They'd make a great cake for someone with dairy intolerance too.

United Cakedom said...

The first person to ever combine peanut butter and chocolate together should be immortalized!

These brownies look absolutely delicious and my type of sweet treat!

Cakeyboi said...

Oh yes please! I love chocolate and PB together as you know. These brownies look so moreish - I just don't understand Mr CC?!

Gluten Free Alchemist said...

What's not to like about brownies???? Especially chocolate and peanut butter ones. Fabulous CC! Now why haven't I ever combined those two classic ingredients in a brownie before?

Baking Addict said...

Peanut butter and chocolate is one of my all time favourite combinations. I wish I could have some of this but clearly it all disappeared quickly!

Kate@whatkatebaked said...

Haha- that final picture sums up this lovely recipe CC!

Kim said...

Brownies are my nemesis, I always burn them as I am so scared that they will be underdone, so I rarely make them either. However, peanut butter and chocolate is the BEST combination so these could tempt me to dip my toes in the brownie waters!

Cupcake Crazy Gem said...

For sure, you cannot beat chocolate and peanut butter, these sound dreamy!